[tex-live] texdoc in luatex

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Tue Jun 26 12:48:23 CEST 2007

2007/6/26, Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch>:
> > Decompressing pdfs on the fly will cost time as PDFs have to be
> > decompressed completely before they can be read (unless they are
> > linearized).
>
> Is that a real problem on an installed system or the Live DVD?

Always. Non-linearized pdfs are first read from the end to find the
xref table, and then you access indivial objects. So you need tmp
space (either in memory or on disc) -- you can't work on streams. For
linearized pdfs this is different, but since almost nobody produces
them (pdftex doesn't) we can ignore them.

Best
   Martin