[tex-live] TeX Live on NetBSD: first steps

Jukka Salmi j+tex-live at 2007.salmi.ch
Mon Jun 18 23:46:44 CEST 2007

Reinhard Kotucha --> tex-live (2007-06-18 22:52:47 +0200):
> Jukka Salmi writes:
>
>  > Tracing texconfig revealed that kpsewhich searches for tcfmgr.map in
>  > the following directories (in this order):
>  >
>  > .
>  > $HOME/.texlive2007/texmf-config/texconfig/
>  > $HOME/.texlive2007/texmf-var/texconfig/
>  > $HOME/texmf/texconfig/
>
> Does this happen if you run texconfig-sys init ?

Yes, in exactly the same way.

>  > and then gives up, i.e. exits with exit status 1. Hmm, neither
>  > $HOME/.texlive2007/ nor $HOME/texmf/ exist...
>
> They don't exist by default.  $HOME/texmf/ is where you can store your
> personal files and the directory $HOME/.texlive2007/ will be created
> when it's needed.  The fact that tcfmgr.map is expected in $HOME is
> quite strange.

Indeed.

BTW, what does the `mf' in `texmf' stand for?

>  > Hmm, should texhash have been run by the TL installation routine?
>
> Though texhash is a shell script, it depends on kpsewhich, which is
> a binary.  You installed TeXLive before you added the binaries for
> your platform.  You already said that you got an error message from
> the installer.  The shell script called binaries which didn't exist
> for your platform at this time.  I suppose that this was the problem.

This makes sense. (But the installer error was another problem and
fixed in the meantime.)

>  > BTW, I ran install-tl.sh as non-root. Could this be the source of the
>  > problems?
>
> No, you don't have to be root.  TeXLive is supposed to work everywhere
> and for everybody.

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks ;-)

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~