[tex-live] linux 2.4 binaries

Giuseppe Ghibò ghibo at mandriva.com
Fri Jun 15 17:06:50 CEST 2007

Norbert Preining ha scritto:

> Hi Karl,
>
> no problem. In case I just boot one of my machines with a 2.4 kernel and compile in a debian etch chroot. So this is definitely not a problem.
>
> Bye
>
> Norbert

If someone needs to build something on an obsolete machine, kernel, glibc, why
just don't take a virtualizer and install there a distribution of several year
ago (with kernel 2.4, or even 2.2)? There were archives on the net containing
ISOs of old linux distributions.

Just take one of the virtual machine around, such as:

- vmware player, proprietary but at no charge
(http://www.vmware.com/download/player/)

- vmware server, (http://www.vmware.com/download/server/)

- virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/), free GPL.

- qemu+kqemu (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/), free GPL.

Those can easily reach the performance of the native one. Also the
filedisk created can be easily exchanged between developers.

Bye
Giuseppe.