[tex-live] TL-CD compression

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jun 3 01:30:02 CEST 2007

Hi,
currently the TL-CD is using zip to compress packages.  A few days
before TL-2007 had been frozen a few files had to be removed  in order
to get evreything on the CD.  In TL-2008 there will be even more stuff.

I just copied the install CD to disk and converted all .zip files to
.tar.bz2 and .tar.gz.

   $ du -sc TL2007-*
   655660  TL2007-tbz
   695896  TL2007-tgz
   728072  TL2007-zip

It seems that it is not worthwhile to consider switching from .zip to
.tar.gz since the gain is only 4%.  But .tar.bz2 is abt. 10% smaller,
the difference is 72.412 MB.

In my opinion the difference is significant.  Are there any good
reasons not to use .tar.bz2 instead of .zip?

bzip2 is horribly slow but if files are read from a CD/DVD or from the
network I think that it doesn't matter very much.

There would even be enough space left to provide emacs.

Since Norbert is writing the install scripts from scratch it makes
sense to consider whether switching from .zip to .tar.bz2 is reasonable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25