[tex-live] pdftosrc from Tex Live 2007 packages

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 28 02:12:17 CEST 2007

Martin Schröder writes:

 > 2007/7/27, Frank Küster <frank at debian.org>:
 >> pdfTeX contains sources for pdftosrc and ttf2afm, but "make all" in
 >> pdftexdir does not compile them:

 >> # pdftex_bin = pdftex ttf2afm pdftosrc
 >> pdftex_bin = pdftex

 > They are available as targets in web2c.

 > Why they got lost in pdftexdir (it was there in 1.30), I honestly
 > don't know.

Martin,
I'm amazed that you don't remember.

Because *you* and Thanh decided that it is obsolete because you don't
need it yourself and you decided that people should use pdfTk instead.
It was a bad decision.  Martin, as far as I remember *you* suggested
to remove it and Thanh agreed.  Dig out the old emails.

I remember this very well because someone told me that he had been
very upset because people who do not use this program decided that it
should be removed but complaints from people who actually use the
program had been ignored.

 > I'll reenable them in pdftexdir.

Thanks.  It's a nice and useful tool.

Regards,