[tex-live] Why not using a (e.g.) SQL-like installation-language?

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Sat Jul 21 19:19:36 CEST 2007

Zitat von Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>:

> Oliver Bandel wrote:
>
> > Why not using an SQL-like language for the installation-control?
> >
> > Then people do not have to learn Perl or Python or Shell or anything else,
> > which might take a lot of effort to learn it.
>
> No, instead they have to learn an SQL-like language;

It's not necessarily to be a SQL-like language, it also can
be done completely different, if it is better to do in another way.

If it is completely different and called "TeX installation language"
it might be better.

The difference is, that one can give commands in a way,
the user needs to.
A command like "INSTALL "filename" from "server.foobar.xx""
is easier than ewriting things in a programming language.

People use TeX and LaTeX, because it's easier than to write
pdf or postscript or dvi by hand.

why should one learn TeX?

That's the same thing.

> it is not
> at all clear to my why you believe this would be easier.

The installation language would have the commands it needs,
and does not have any other commands added.

So it has less commands than a general programming language.

But if no one needs it, forget my idea and do it in
any language you want to.

Ciao,
   Oliver