[tex-live] [LONG] Improving TeX package classification and the associated documentaion

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Mon Jul 2 17:27:26 CEST 2007

Florent Rougon wrote:

> Well, probably not, but I don't think it's a big problem:
>   - if package maintainers write their own metadata, well, that's great

Sadly, Your assumption does not fit reality. Even the few authors
who tried to submit TeX catalogue files got it mostly wrong. For
many submissions, one even has to ask for READMEs and PDF
documentation files.

>   - the most important packages (geometry, graphicx, etc.) will get
>     tagged in a reasonable timeframe by either their maintainer or by
>     volonteers (yeah, could be me, but preferably some LaTeX guru :).

I am *very* sceptical that you will find gurus that will help in
tagging packages. Otherwise the Catalogue would not be maintained
by just a handful of persons (and Robin does 80% of the work there
singlehandedly), such gurus would give a hand there, too.

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany