[tex-live] time for another binary build?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jan 18 00:07:50 CET 2007

On 17 Jan 2007, at 10:40 pm, Karl Berry wrote:

>     But I'm not sure exactly how close we are to
>     freezing the DVD contents
>
> I'm not either.  I haven't heard back from Manfred or Klaus, whom I
> know
> are quite busy this week.  I was kind of thinking as next Monday
> (Jan 22)
> as the day for the final images.  I don't know of any large
> outstanding
> issues.  I doubt all the builders can come through in a couple of
> days,
> even assuming there are no problems.
>
> So, I guess my question is, how important is it for users?  Unless it
> will make an important difference, my strong inclination is too wait.

Well, I suppose it's important for users who want access to
particular OpenType features in certain fonts (depending how the
fonts are constructed)... for example, in some of Adobe's new "Pro"
fonts, v0.996 can't access the Oldstyle Numerals feature
independently of Small Caps, while the update handles this correctly.

In the whole scheme of things, though, it's not that big a deal; the
limitation in the current implementation has been there from the
earliest XeTeX releases with OpenType support (2+ years) and only
just come to anyone's attention in the past month or two, so clearly
this isn't affecting most users.

So let's leave it for now. I believe what's currently in TL is pretty
solid, and in any case there will need to be updates from time to
time for those who want to stay on the bleeding edge between now and
the next full TL release.

Thanks,

JK