[tex-live] filename clash (upper/lower case)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jan 15 10:51:02 CET 2007

On 15 Jan 2007, at 9:27 am, Frank Küster wrote:

> Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
>
>> On 15 Jan 2007, at 7:03 am, Frank Küster wrote:
>>
>>> OS X has a case-sensitive filesystem by default, I'm not
>>> sure whether you can switch it off or what Mac OS 9 does.
>>
>> No, HFS+ is case-insensitive (but case-preserving). There's a variant
>> (HFSX) that has a case-sensitive option available, but I'd guess the
>> proportion of users running it is tiny. Likewise, UFS is available
>> but rarely used.
>
> Hm, just before posting I created a directory "Kochen" in my wife's
> MacBook's home folder, where there is already "kochen", and it didn't
> have a problem with that.  But maybe I'm just confused...

Hmm, maybe. Perhaps the drive is formatted with case-sensitive HFSX.
But more likely, the existing "kochen" is a file that has a
recognized extension of some kind (.txt, .rtf, .pdf, .doc, whatever)
which the Finder is hiding. There's an option in the Finder's
Preferences to "Show all file extensions", and IIRC it's off by default.

You can also use Get Info to look more closely at the file name; see
what it says in the "Name & Extension" section, and see whether the
"Hide extension" option is checked for this file.

Or look at the directory listing with ls -l in a Terminal window.

JK