[tex-live] getnonfreefonts-sys doesn't update updmap.cfg?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 10 19:38:52 CET 2007

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

[long snip; what was excised was a fascinating insight !]

> There are a few things I plan to do in the space of time between TL
> will be frozen and it will be released: Rolf Niepraschk and Karl asked
> for inclusion of URW Classico, an Optima clone which is under AFPL.

I would like to raise an ethical question here (as opposed to
an ethical objection).  Is the general consensus that it is
right to include a "free" clone of a copyrighted font,
and if so, on what basis ?

Many eminent font designers, including the Grand Wizard of Fonts
(himself the designer/creator  of Optima), have argued that font
cloning is not only unethical but will ultimately result in the
end of skilled typeface design, since if a type designer is unable
to protect his/her work from theft then there remains little or no
incentive to work in the field.

To cite John Hudson, "Herr Zapf left ATypI in disgust over the fact
that  the association was unwilling or unable to do anything to
enforce  respect for the rights of designers among its members.
Monotype  had pirated the design of Palatino to make Book Antiqua,
and the  only response from ATypI seems to have been embarassment
that  Zapf was rude enough to protest in public."

Philip Taylor