[tex-live] package updates still possible?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed Jan 10 08:12:36 CET 2007

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     > seminar.bg2: TL 2005 beta contains 1997/11/20 v1.6
>
>>From the license in seminar.cls, it is obviously nonfree (modifications
> cannot be distributed, can't be sold, etc.).  I've deleted it from TL.
> Sorry.
>
> Meanwhile, I wrote Denis Girou, who seems to be the person working on it
> these days, to see if he can update CTAN or if he has heard from
> van Zandt at all (unlikely).

Seminar has a separate license statement in sem-read.me which the Debian
folks understood as overwriting the statements in the files:

,----[ /usr/share/doc/texmf/latex/seminar/sem-read.me.gz ]
| IMPORTANT NOTE
|
| With the agreement of Timothy Van Zandt  (now tvz at zandtwerk.kellogg.nwu.edu),
| the distributions conditions on seminar are now relaxed to:
|
|  This package may be distributed under the terms of the LaTeX Project Public
|  License, as described in lppl.txt in the base LaTeX distribution.
|  Either version 1.0 or, at your option, any later version.
|
| This overrides the conditions listed below. A new version of
| "seminar" is in preparation by Timothy van Zandt.
|
| June 3rd 1999
| Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
| Denis Girou <denis.girou at idris.fr>
|
| (Tim's helpers on earth)
`----

In http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=327741 there's a
discussion about contacting Timothy and uploading to CTAN, Sebastian
Rahtz was also involved back then.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster