[tex-live] Having a .fmt for different engines

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Jan 5 14:25:45 CET 2007

On Jan 5, 2007, at 02:20 , Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> I don't think that it makes sense to change things
> in gwTeX only.  And as far as TeXLive is concerned I think that it's
> quite inappropriate to ask for new features *now*.

I think what we need to do now is to decide upon a design for this.
Because if we don't do it now, we'll have to do it later and we'll
have a migration with outdated documentation on the web etc. etc..

> But I also do not want that TeX distributions diverge.

TL should set a reasonable standard.

Let me repeat the options to prevent conflicts:
	1. Same names, different subdirs per engine
	2. Different basenames per engine (xelatex.fmt vs pdflatex.fmt, xe-
cont-en.fmt vs pdf-cont-en.fmt
	3. Different extensions per incompatible engine (cont-en.fmt vs cont-
enf.xfmt)

Another option is to remove ConTeXT from fmtutil entirely and keep
two disjunct standards, one for ConTeXT (1) and one for the rest (2).
I am going to put that in gwTeX for now to prevent the conflict to
exist at all.

> I also do not see a great benefit.  It will be obsolete in two years
> anyway.

Why?