[tex-live] win32 and Gs [was: TL and win32]

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jan 4 00:26:54 CET 2007

  > One of the lessons from MikTeX is that you have to watch out for
  > defaults: mgs still has default library path "c:\gs.." which
  > caused different behaviour depending on whether the user had some
  > (possibly old, since recent versions install into "Program Files")
  > install in C:\gs.  This means mucking with the gs build system,
  > not simplying renaming files.

Ok, I see the problems.  Let's go this way:

I'll report all problems we have to the ghostscript guys.  For TeXLive
it is not sufficient that they fix the bugs.  It is also required that
they provide a new version under GPL.  If they provide a usable GPL
version we'll use it, of course, otherwise we have to manage things
ourselves.

If we can include a vanilla ghostscript which does what we need and
comes with its own installer it's certainly the best solution.  But it
has to be under GPL.

But we cannot rely on it, it is probably required that we have two
solutions in mind.  I'll discuss this with Staszek and Pawel at the
next conference anyway.  I'm sure we'll find a reasonable solution.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25