[tex-live] Kpathsea in TL2007

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Mon Feb 19 15:11:43 CET 2007

"Philip Taylor (Webmaster) " <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Vedran Miletić wrote:
>> 2007/2/19, Philip & Le Khanh
>> <Philip-and-LeKhanh at royal-tunbridge-wells.org>:
>>> Yes, all of these apart from "Makefile" would benefit
>>> enormously from having a ".txt" or ".log" extension.
>>>
>>> And if only "Make" would expect files of type ".mak",
>>> then we could do away with extensionless files for ever :-)
>>>
>>> Philip Taylor
>>>

>> But why? In Unix, OS doesn't differ the part of file name before the
>> last dot and after the last dot. It's a FILE NAME. There are no
>> extensions in Unix that OS actually cares about.
>
> Yes, that's the problem : but clearly *X aficionados are happy
> with this sad state of affairs, so there's little than can be
> done until they finally see the error of their ways ...

I really don't see why it is an error to think of the full stop as an
ordinary character.  I frequently use filenames like 15.3grad.eps (or
with any other extension), and it's really annoying that this triggers
some special handling, and pdfTeX/graphicx.sty won't include the file.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)