[tex-live] Kpathsea in TL2007

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Feb 19 03:54:13 CET 2007

  > Fair point.  But true only for *X systems, which regard the "." in
  > "Readme." as a part of the name, rather than as the separator
  > which acts as a visible delimiter between file name and extension.

If I say "Readme" I mean "Readme" and if I say "Readme." I mean
"Readme.".  It's simply wrong if I get "Readme" when I say "Readme.".

  >>> As an aside, why anyone would want to have a file called "foo"
  >>> (as opposed to than "foo.<something>") is beyond my
  >>> comprehension :
  >>  There are many such files in the real world, examples: Makefile,
  >> README, COPYING, LICENSE, NEWS, ChangeLog, ...

  > Yes, all of these apart from "Makefile" would benefit enormously
  > from having a ".txt" or ".log" extension.

No, nothing/nobody will benefit.  Extensions are not unique and I
guess that Perl is unable to process a file like "uplr8t.pl".

  > And if only "Make" would expect files of type ".mak", then we
  > could do away with extensionless files for ever :-)

Sigh...  Why do you suggest ".mak" and not ".make"?  It's good that
you like Windows so much but you can't expect that UNIX users like all
these restrictions.  You cannot force UNIX users to live in the
stone-age.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25