[tex-live] missing latex.fmt

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 23:14:39 CET 2007

2007/12/10, Johannes Goller <jogojapan at googlemail.com>:
> Dear TexLive team,
>
> after following the instructions on
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html in order to
> install TexLive on i383-linux in /usr/local/texlive of a machine runniner
> Redhat Enterprise Linux release 3 (Taroon Update 7), I ran into the
> following issue when true to "latex" or "pdflatex" a simple .tex test file:
>

> latex Diss.tex
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
> I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
>

>  I tried various combinations of "texconfig" and "texconfig-sys" and
> "fmtutil-sys", using such options as "--enable-fmt latex", "--refresh",
> "--missing", "--all", but I am still having the problem.
>
> I installed TexLive as user "root", but I tried the above both as "root" and
> as an ordinary user.
>
> The options I chose during the installation were as follows:
>   - I removed several language-specific packages
>   - I removed several of the documentation packages
>   - I enabled the "install essential binaries" option [because, from its
> name, it seems to be essential]
>
> But I also tried a flat installation with no options changed (after removing
> the previous installation). None of this had any impact on the situation.
>
> Would you kindly be able to help me?

1. Did you try:
fmtutil --byfmt latex
What does it report?

2. Does "which latex" find the executable in the correct directory?
Remember that it must be at the BEGINNING of ypur PATH because Linux
always installs at least a part of teTeX even if you select that you
do not want to install it.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/