[tex-live] pstopdf - strange behaviour on linux

Wolfgang Fleischer w.fleischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Dec 5 14:26:41 CET 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 9:36 PM, Wolfgang Fleischer wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > This time I have a question about pstopdf on linux:
> >
> > When I use pstopdf like
> >
> >   latex sample2e
> >   dvips sample2e
> >   pstopdf sample2e.ps
> >
> > I end up with a correct pdf-file sample2e.pdf.
> >
> > Now lets do
> >
> >   mv sample2e.ps aBcD.ps
> >   pstopdf aBcD.ps
> >
> > to have a file name with uppercase letters.
> >
> > There is no output file aBcD.pdf. pstopdf complains about not finding
> > aBcD.ps which is true because aBcD.ps has been renamed to abcd.ps.
> > If there exist both files abcd.ps and aBcD.ps the command
> >
> >   pstopdf aBcD.ps
> >
> > will overwrite abcd.ps without any warning.
>
> Hello,
>
> Which TeX distribution are you using and what does
>     ctxtools --contextversion
> return?
>
> pstopdf behaves a bit weird in some cases (I prefer to use ps2pdf
> which is more reliable and more configurable), but I cannot reproduce
> the behavior you're describing. For me it works OK (on Mac OS X, TeX
> Live 2007 + ConTeXt version 2007.09.28).
>
> /tmp> pstopdf aBcD.ps
> PsToPdf | converting ps (ps) into pdf
> PsToPdf | conversion method 2
> PsToPdf | converting aBcD.ps bounded
> /tmp>
>
> Mojca

Ok, lets see what we have

-The box is openSUSE 10.3, fresh install, I checked two other boxes with the
same result.
-TeXLive 2007 from the Install CD, full install, runs on 100 machines here
almost without problems

fleischr at dagur:fleischr> ctxtools --contextversion says

fleischr at dagur:fleischr> ctxtools --contextversion
CtxTools | context version: 2007.01.12 15:56
(/home/mathe/GLOBAL_PA/shared/packages/tl2007/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.tex)
CtxTools | context version: 2007.01.12 15:56
(/home/mathe/GLOBAL_PA/shared/packages/tl2007/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex)

fleischr at dagur:fleischr> which pstopdf gives
/usr/bin/TeX/pstopdf

fleischr at dagur:fleischr> more /usr/bin/TeX/pstopdf
#!/bin/sh
texmfstart pstopdf.rb "$@"

fleischr at dagur:fleischr> ls -al /usr/bin/TeX
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 2007-10-19
11:05 /usr/bin/TeX -> /usr/shared/packages/tl2007/bin/i386-linux

fleischr at dagur:fleischr> ls *.ps
aBcD.ps
fleischr at dagur:fleischr> pstopdf aBcD.ps
PsToPdf | file aBcD.ps does not exist
fleischr at dagur:fleischr> ls *.ps
abcd.ps

Thanks for your reply.