[tex-live] Copying symbolic links to Windows

poti at potis.org poti at potis.org
Thu Aug 23 23:48:17 CEST 2007

I am having some difficulty with symbolic links. I have included
TeX Live 2007 on a DVD (statlive.org) which is designed to be a
cross-platform integrated development environment which has been
well received at conferences this summer. In principle, it would
be nice if the directory containing the necessary files could be
copied onto a PC hard drive (effectively installing the GNU operating
system user experience without the kernel) and back onto removable
media from such a hard drive.

The problem is, to maintain the cross-platform feature and to
avoid the need for an installer, I need to copy Linux and OSX
symbolic links (for example, those in the TeXLive2007/bin/*-darwin
directories).

On some PCs, I can do this (I am at a Windows XP pc where I just did), and
on others, I cannot (e.g. a brand new, off the shelf, Windows Vista laptop
and a Windows Server 2003). Unzipping a zip archive containing such links
also fails, even on the PC where I can copy the links. It seems to be
an issue with permissions or security settings of some sort. If someone
who has already payed the price of learning the intricacies of Windows could
suggest where I could look to learn how such symbolic links
(not the new Vista symbolic links, unless the procedure is the same) can
be handled, I would be very grateful.

-Poti