[tex-live] [NTG-pdftex] Runtime limitations on open files?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 00:16:40 CEST 2007

On 8/20/07, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > Joachim Schrod <jschrod at acm.org> writes:

> >> For all the uninteresting flames, this is an important information
> >> tidbit that I was not aware of. Thanks a lot for pointing that out.
> >
> > For both TeXlive and PDFTeX, this compiler fails because of missing
> > header files.
> >
> > The missing header files where the PDFTeX compilation bombs out from
> > the current PDFTeX sources _are_ present in the LuaTeX sources.

If you are refering to  win32lib.h, oldnames.h there are version in the TL svn
repository and in metapost-1.000.  For my experiment with pdftex I created
a src/win32 directory for the headers from metapost.  There were some
conflicts.  I ended up with:

export CC=i586-mingw32-gcc \
       CFLAGS='-DHAVE_BOOLEAN -D_UWIN -Dtrue=1 -Dfalse=0 -DTRUE=1
-DFALSE=0 -I../../../../src/win32 -I../../../src/win32' \
       CXX=i586-mingw32-c++ \
       RANLIB=i586-mingw32-ranlib

in build-win32.sh.  The -DHAVE_BOOLEAN is for kpathsea, the -D_UWIN is for the
mingw headers.

This is enough to build many .o files, but there are problems
with the Makefiles that generate a target (e.g. win32) tangleboot on a
linux host.
and also missing  library routines.

I think there are some underlying problems with excessive use of
#ifdef win32 rather than #ifndef HAVE_SOME_POSIX_CAPABILITY
that tend to enforce dependencies on a particular build environment.

> > So it would appear that Taco's ability to crosscompile LuaTeX is not
> > just a case of figuring out the correct options to build.sh: more
> > would appear to be required here.
>
> That is correct, I had to make some changes to the build system and
> some small patches to the source code. I have been working off Siep
> Kroonenberg's patches for tetex:
>
>    http://tex.aanhet.net/mingtex/
>
> These have been brought to the attention of the list a few times
> already; nobody seems to care enough to integrate them for use with
> texlive proper (myself included).
>
> I have adjusted Siep's stuff so that it works for the core executables
> I needed (tex/mp/mf) from tetex3/texlive, and also so that it does not
> need re-autoconf to switch between cross and native (just re-configure
> is good enough). The amount of code involved is fairly small, really.
>
> > Even if it might prove too complex to provide this sort of setup for
> > TeXlive2007, having it for PDFTeX might already help some people.

I was hoping that pdftex would be stable by now -- but between bugs
in pdftex and in the libraries it needs rebuilding rather too often.

> Starting from luatex, it should be simple enough to compile pdftex
> in the same way. Just exchange luatexdir with pdftexdir, update the
> build.sh script, and you are nearly there, I think.

Sounds like a plan.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia