[tex-live] [NTG-pdftex] Runtime limitations on open files?

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Fri Aug 17 23:59:24 CEST 2007

Hi Martin,

> Let's get back to the facts: I can easily include 10000 different pdfs
> on one page (and claim that the number of files is only limited by
> memory) -- when \pdfximage is \immediate (which is normally is not).
> This works on Linux. Does this not work on Windows?

\documentclass[pdftex,a5paper]{book}
\usepackage[papersize={8.5in,11in}]{geometry}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
%
\let\mypdfximage\pdfximage
\def\pdfximage{\immediate\mypdfximage}
%
\begin{document}
\newcount\i
\i=2
\loop
  \ifnum\i<3000
    \includepdf[pages={-}]{\number\i.pdf}%
  \advance\i by1
\repeat

\end{document}

works also on Windows.  The "immediate" version does not
depend on the limitation on the number of open files.

Thanks,
Akira