[tex-live] Portable TeX web page

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Apr 11 12:12:40 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 10:33:54PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > http://tex.aanhet.net/portable/ Scripts and notes for portable TeX
>   > Live and portable MikTeX
>
> Many thanks.  However, I followed the links on your web site and found:
>
>      http://tex.aanhet.net/mingtex/
>
> Well, it's a pity that the TeXLive binaries for Windows are not
> derived from the same sources as the UNIX binaries.

As Karl noted, they are. The motivation for using MinGW is to
minimize the changes wrt. the Unix version. But since the native
compiler is very slow, you are pretty much forced to cross-compile,
which creates some complications of its own.

> But what you achieved is ***much*** more than I expected.  I added
> Jerzy to the CC because he told me recently that he knows someone whom
> he probably can convince to look into it.  I think that what you have
> done already is a very good starting point.

As Martin noted, this stuff is old. But I would love to see it
picked up by somebody else.

--
Siep Kroonenberg