[tex-live] Search path order problem.

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 5 01:38:22 CEST 2007

    As you can see, we have /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/tex/generic//
    before /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/generic//

    What is the idea behind that?  Why would the local paths come behind
    the system paths?

Because (I'm reiterating Thomas) there's a distinction between the
various texmf directories.  In general, the stuff in texmf "goes with"
the actual distribution binaries.  Essentially, it's what is installed
by make install out of the sources.  Pool files and so on.  No good
would come of trying to override them in texmf-local.  Developers who
actually want to use texmf-local or another tree to play with different
versions can easily change the definition of TEXMF.

By this distinction, there are some files in texmf/ which really
shouldn't be there.  The one I just learned about is cid-x.map, which is
expected to be edited.  I guess I'll need to move that to texmf-dist.

karl