[tex-live] missing Adobe AFM files?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Mon Oct 23 19:19:28 CEST 2006

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Hi Frank! Hi Ralf!
>
> I know it is weekend, and you have no time, but still ...

One weekend later...

>> Ah, now I understand.  I tend to consider this as a design flaw, but we
>> might have to cope with it.
>
> (I really thought I have explained this once on debian-(te)tex, whatever)

Probably you have, but I didn't understand.  Our personal,
Debian-specific problem is that this means that it will not be possible
to generate our copyright file based on the tpm files: There's no
correspondence between CTAN uploads (directory hierarchies) and tpm
files, as I assumed.

> Since you two know best the problems which currently exists, could you
> make a new proposal which:
> - takes into respect the tpm names stuff
>   Furthermore, if directory names on CTAN and in TeX live are the same,
>   this also helps, but this is not necessary

I guess this means that only (some of) the removals should be done, not
the moves (and the one addition).

> - takes into account the new licensing Walter told us

I'm still not sure to which files in TeXlive these files correspond, I
will have to look that up again.  It's so long since I compiled the
list...

> - lists
>   . what directories should be removed/changed
>   . which directories finally exist with which content

Should I make the work based on tpm files, or file lists?

> I would prepare the stuff for TeX live svn repository.
>
> I guess Karl will agree if we do this (or?).

Without looking at individual files again, here's what will be left from
the original proposal:

1. Files required for psnfss, as described in psnfss' 00readme.txt:

   599 files, psnfss-required.txt, plus one file from lw35nfss.zip that
              is missing in texlive (pzcmi8r.tfm)

 ===> KEEP, add missing tfm file

2. Files that used to be required (or at least useful) for psnfss, but
   have been removed from CTAN and not yet from TeXLive:

   149 files, psnfss-lw35obs.txt and psnfss-urwrenamed.txt

 ===> REMOVE

3. Files for direct access to the URW fonts without PSNFSS ("urw35vf"),
   no longer on CTAN because Walter Schmidt recommends to not do this

   544 files, psnfss-urwdirect.txt

 ===> REMOVE

7. Metrics about which we could not find out anything

   5 files, psnfss-nocategory.txt

 ===> REMOVE

I'm unclear about:

5. Metrics for fonts that are not available on CTAN, or with only
   non-free Type1 files

   45 files, psnfss-phvl.txt and psnfss-ibm.txt

This includes probably the files from Adobe for which we now have a
license, but I haven't checked.  Furthermore, even if there are no Type1
files on CTAN, it might make sense to install the support files if

- there might be users who have them

- a method exists to actually access them, i.e. some LaTeX style files
  or similar.

I'll have to check that.

Files under the original points 4 and 6 will probably stay were they
are.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster