[tex-live] the "open publication licence"

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 12:36:04 CEST 2006

we (ctan team) are engaged in updates of several of our user (web)
interfaces, and this licence arose as a conflict in our existing
stuff (in one place we list it as a free licence, in another as a
nonfree one).

can anyone suggest a definitive interpretation, or where we might find
a definitive interpretation, of the import of the licence?

the licence itself may be seen at http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/

our "summary" says

  This software is copyright and you are explicitly granted a license
  which gives you the legal permission to copy, distribute and/or
  modify the publication, including for commercial redistribution.
  However, such distributed material must identify the original (and
  all subsequent) authors and publishers prominently and include a
  pointer to the original unmodified document, which may render this
  license as a non-free license.

robin