[tex-live] NTEmacs on next TeXLive?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Oct 11 21:40:01 CEST 2006

  > Hello, coming back to a point we discussed a while ago: Will you
  > include a current NTEmacs together with AUCTeX on the next release
  > CD/DVD of TeXLive? Again, I think it would be a great service to
  > those that have no broadband access to the internet. NTEmacs also
  > is the only major editor for Windows that is not available from
  > CTAN, so it does not go into the CTAN snapshot distributed with
  > the TeX Collection.

Emacs is much too large to go on the CD.  But what certainly is
possible is to put Windows binaries into the support directory on the
DVD.  That means that it cannot be part of TeXLive, i.e. people have
to install it manually.  Installation means to unpack the zip file
and set the HOME environment variable if it is not set already.

I don't know what NTEmacs is but what we are thinking about is the
current version at:

   ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex

This is a recent CVS version of GNU Emacs + auctex,reftex, and
preview-latex.  I'm using the version from June on Linux at home
and on Windows at work and am very happy with it.

If 37 MB is not too much for you to download, just try it.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25