[tex-live] compiling problems

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Tue Oct 10 09:05:11 CEST 2006

I just tried the following:

. create a directory `texk.compiled'

. within this directory, say

    path/to/TeXLive/Build/source/texk/configure

The last item fails with

  checking for kpse_find_file in -lkpathsea... no
  configure: error: kpathsea library not found
  This version of dvipdfmx requires the kpathsea library and its headers. If
  you know where it is you might try setting the LDFLAGS environment variable
  with -L pointing to the directory containing libkpathsea.a.

  configure: error:
    /usr/local/backup/TeXLive/Build/source/texk/dvipdfmx/configure
    failed for dvipdfmx

Looking up the sources I see the `--enable-tetex-build' variable.
This is completely undocumented...

Since TeXLive doesn't contain libkpathsea I think some users like me
have the desire to build it, to be able to link with external
programs, so I strongly suggest to add documentation for this flag to
kpathsea's (or whatever's) README.

    Werner