[tex-live] How to do the following?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Oct 3 19:11:31 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:

>   > latex "&format" "file name with spaces"
>
> The quotes you typed are evaluated by the shell and are not seen by
> tex.

I did not claim they were.  Without "&format", this will work.

> $ etex \&latex "\"file with spaces\""
> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./file with spaces.tex
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> [....]

It is nothing that earlier LaTeX versions will like (and of course, it
uses the wrong search paths for TeX input files): I am trying to
figure out a way to call LaTeX from AUCTeX, a TeX shell with minimum
likelihood of failure.

Of course, if failure is unavoidable, it will be ok to cause it.