[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 30 21:01:13 CEST 2006

    If distributors can package up TL then it's fine,

I repeat: if someone cares to *volunteer* to package TL as rpm's (or
whatever), or convert the deb's (or whatever), I am (and everyone else
is) all for it.  I will do what I can to help.  But I cannot take on the
actual work.  I hope someone does.

    but currently tetex is 280MB and I expect distributors might be
    re-evaluating inclusion of it if it jumps up by a lot. Would it be
    advisable/possible to split TL somehoe sensible?

TL has always supported installation of coherent subsets, called
"schemes" (at the highest level).  It would be technically easy to
define a "teTeX" scheme which contains the equivalent of what was in
teTeX.

The time-consuming part is going through and determining which TL
packages/collections correspond to the monolithic teTeX.  I hope someone
can volunteer to do this finite task -- I think several projects would
benefit.

TL already has a "medium" scheme (used to be named "recommended", except
what I recommend is the whole thing, given today's disk sizes) that
could perhaps be a starting point.

Best,
karl