[tex-live] adding xetex code to TL tree

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 30 00:15:37 CEST 2006

Hi Jonathan,

    know what policies/practices are normal here, hence this message.)

Not to worry, we have very little in the way of policy :).

    So it seems to me that the appropriate course is to create a branch
    and work there; once the code is in place, people can try building on
    various systems; and once any build-halting problems have been
    addressed, we can merge the new material into the trunk.

Well, no doubt using a branch would be "safer", in a way.  But given the
realities of TL, I think it would actually be better to just check in
your changes to the trunk.

Unlike other projects, our problem is not that we have dozens of
developers doing builds constantly, so that build breakage causes
widespread problems.  Our problem is the opposite: it's hard to ever
find time to do builds, so any barrier (like checking out a branch) that
makes it more time-consuming to do a build simply increases the
likelihood that it won't be done.

BTW, if you want it, I'm sure that we can get you access to at least
some of the systems for xetex building and/or debugging purposes.  Let
me know.

Thanks,
Karl