[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Mon May 29 16:42:25 CEST 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006, [iso-8859-1] Frank Küster wrote:

> It's not clear to me what you want to achieve with that tetexrpm
> project.  If teTeX were still actively developed, I understand it might
> make sense to keep packages for rpm-based distributions as compatible as
> possible, and maintain them at a central place.  But now that it's been
> abandoned, I don't see the benefit of this.
>
> Either someone steps up and takes the task of maintaining teTeX; but
> then the rpm creation is the smaller part.  The real work would be to
> keep the texmf tree up-to-date, and to take care for the source tree.
> This shouldn't be done with rpm packages as the main target (nor deb's,
> for that matter), but with a standard "./configure; make; make install"
> as it is currently.
>
> Furthermore, I think the best thing we got from Thomas is the
> infrastructure, which has been merged into TeXlive and is still
> maintained by him there.  Work on selecting and updating CTAN packages,
> and in creating useful collections, is probably better done within
> TeXlive, or by making the MikTeX installer work with a preinstalled TeX
> system.

I agree. Having rpm's is good just for a group of Redhat based systems. It
seems to me that having such a distribution as an alternative to TeXLive
is just a waste of human resources. I think that it would be better to
communicate with maintainers of Linux distributions and add TL to Linux
installation DVD instead of teTeX.