[tex-live] Successful (but cludgy) build on cygwin

djh henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon May 29 10:35:26 CEST 2006

(1) some more resonses from the cygwin group:
--------------------------------

2006-02-05  Corinna Vinschen  <corinna at vinschen.de>

       * include/features.h: Add comment to explain what's going to
happen
       here at one point.
       * include/sys/stdio.h: Guard getline and getdelim prototypes
with
       _GNU_SOURCE to avoid collision with old-style declarations.

3. If your code blindly uses "getline" without checking for an existing
version then it's probably broken -- as mentioned in these previous
threads, the Austin group will likely be adding the GNU version of
getline to the next revision of the POSIX standard, meaning your source
will soon be officially noncompliant.

---
> 2. In current versions of Cygwin getline and getdelim are only defined
> if the user defines _GNU_SOURCE - this is the same way it's done on
> linux.

This change doesn't seem(?) to be in /usr/include/sys/stdio.h from Cygwin
DLL 1.5.19-4.  So I think one may have to use CVS or a snapshot, rather than
"just" using the usual setup.exe procedure.
--------------------------------

(2) The good news for now is that with modifying the following files for the getline collision problem I was able to get a successfull build.

	*rename `getline' in t1asm.c
	#define getline t1getline to the top of the file.

	* modified cpascal.h to avoid getline conflict.

	* Rename "getline" in the following files:
		- mtpo.c
		- afm2pl.c
		- dvistuff.c
		- afm2tfm.c
		- newobj.h  (affects newobj.c also)

I think.  The second time I tried to build I got the following error message.
Which just means that "Build" does not pre-erease or the "ln" can not ignore existing files?

/bin/install -c ../../../../TeX/texk/dviljk/dvihp /cygdrive/c/tex/texlive/src/inst/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/dvihp
rm -f /cygdrive/c/tex/texlive/src/inst/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/dvilj6; ln dvilj4 /cygdrive/c/tex/texlive/src/inst/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/dvilj6
ln: creating hard link `/cygdrive/c/tex/texlive/src/inst/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/dvilj6.exe' to `dvilj4.exe': File exists
make[3]: *** [install-exec] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/tex/texlive/src/Work/TeX/texk/dviljk'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1

Tomorrow I will go through again and see if any of the binaries work.  Though I am not experience on actual usage yet....

Regards,
  Darel Henman