[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 21 23:04:36 CEST 2006

On 21 May 2006, at 9:53 pm, Karl Berry wrote:

>     Binaries for old environments/systems are compiled on old
> machines.
>     svn requires more disk space than p4, which is probably not always
>     available.
>
> Not a problem.  You don't need svn to do a compile.  Just an rsync'd
> tree is enough -- many of the binary sets we have now are
> compiled by people who never touched p4.

Or (for those who aren't up to speed with rsync) there's "svn
export", which will give a clean tree (or sub-tree -- whatever you
ask for) without the .svn directories, though it may well not be as
efficient as rsync.

Or you could consider enabling the option in ViewVC that can deliver
a tarball of any requested directory. Either way people could easily
get the sources needed for a compile.

JK