[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 20 19:35:07 CEST 2006

    hans> as karl reported a while ago: they don't respond and don't seem too
    > interested, not even for a project as larg eas tex live

I think I said they do "respond", I should have anyway.  I do get an
answer.  What I don't get is instant code changes, which is
understandable, since usually I'm reporting infelicities about making
the Windows/Unix eol settings, importing vast masses of files, etc.
Fairly substantial new features, not simple bugs.  I don't think I've
encountered an actual bug yet.

    dk> Then the only motivation for using Subversion

That was the main motivation but not the only one.  It is also something
of a pain to renew the license every year (and to lose all access
without the damn license).  And to not have the sources, for full
debugging on occasion.  And I find svn documentation rather more
understandable than p4.