[tex-live] svn vs. p4

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat May 20 14:27:23 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 May 2006, Karl Berry wrote:
>>

>>>     A more natural test would be updating the lm fonts, for instance.
>>>
>>> In terms of getting experience with svn, I wouldn't recommend updating
>>> lm as a first update.  I doubt anything good could come of that.  Doing
>>> something smaller would be better; once success and familiarity have
>>> been achieved there (maybe they already have, I'm not sure how much you
>>> and Staszek have done), *then* try something as big as lm.
>>>

>> Uff, I've just updated lm fonts (#1581). The whole commit took ~40min,
>> not counting my preparation (I have no time nor experience to write
>> scripts for what was added, deleted or only updated).
>>
> do you have any idea why it took that much of time?
>
> - too slow machine: then we need to get you a faster machine

Could be required on either side of the connection.

> - too slow (dsl) lines: then we need to get you a fast line

In any case, if the numbers are drastically different from some other
system doing the same work, this should be reported as a problem to
Subversion developers.  After all, they have an interest to get their
software ready for large real-life applications.

But in the mean time, more bandwidth/computing power could shift the
balance from the current behavior into more tolerable ranges for core
developers.  It should be a temporary measure in order to keep TeXlive
going while Subversion catches up.