[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 20 01:52:44 CEST 2006

    When I updated the repository today I saw that a package had been
    updated. I don't know whether this had been done for testing only.

It was somewhat of a test, but it was a real update, too.

    A more natural test would be updating the lm fonts, for instance.

In terms of getting experience with svn, I wouldn't recommend updating
lm as a first update.  I doubt anything good could come of that.  Doing
something smaller would be better; once success and familiarity have
been achieved there (maybe they already have, I'm not sure how much you
and Staszek have done), *then* try something as big as lm.

Since svn's operating model is so different from p4's, I am sure there
will be many points of confusion along the way.  Procedures will have to
be adjusted.  Just have to take a deep breath, \relax, and understand
what's happening.

    Karl, can you save the current state of the repository (svnadmin dump)
    so that we can use the repository as a sandbox for a couple of days?

I can do that if and when Staszek or you or anyone is ready to do some
major sandboxing, but I don't just want to shut things down indefinitely
without something more firm.  I hope to make some more updates this
weekend, for example.  And anyway, it should be quite feasible to
recover from anything that happens in error, svnadmin dumps or not.

karl