[tex-live] Installation on Solaris 8

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 11 23:39:17 CEST 2006

Hi Donald,

    While installing TeX Live 2005 on Solaris 8 I found that the "tar cf
    - filename" commands failed. It seems this may be a syntax that GNU
    tar understands

That syntax is universal among every tar ever written, as far as I know.
Unless POSIX and Solaris have stupidly stopped supporting it, which is
possible, I suppose.  But Solaris 8 is old enough that I don't think
that should be the issue.

Perhaps something else is going on.  With the failing configuration (ie,
the default PATH, could you run
  OVERRIDE_DEBUG=true; export OVERRIDE_DEBUG
  /bin/sh -vx install-live.sh

(Or install-compr.sh, whichever one you used.)

The output will be extremely voluminous.  Please do it in an Emacs M-x
shell buffer or typescript or some other way where you can save it all.
Just do the minimal steps to exhibit the failing tar, and then send me
the output.  There's no rush, it'll be a few days before I can look at
it anyway.

Ok?

Thanks for the report.

Karl