[tex-live] License of TeX

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Mon May 1 11:14:23 CEST 2006

On 2006-04-30 17:47:23 -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Check out the latest pdfTeX 1.40-beta. :-)
>
> Nothing on pdftex.org.  Nothing on pdftex.sarovar.org.  Ah, there it is,
> at
> http://sarovar.org/download.php/913/pdftex-1.40.0-beta-20060213.tar.bz2.
> I should have known, I guess.
>
> Ok, I got it, but I see nothing in the NEWS file about eliminating
> kpathsea, and indeed, kpathsea is still in the source tarball.  Where am
> I supposed to look?  What is the story?  Please answer in more than one
> syllable :).

Don't panic! :-)

We have only integrated the web and change files for TeX + eTeX +
pdfTeX into one file pdftex.web (and one change file pdftex.ch)
and done away with the seperate pdfetex binary - there will be
only pdftex anymore, which has all the features (eTeX (+lua
(+alpeh (+ ...)))). kpse is still there, web2c is still there.

Happy?

Best
    Martin
--