[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jun 30 12:48:09 CEST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> now why would people in Nigeria behave any differently
>>> from people in Germany or England?
>>>

>> Because they don't have broadband?  Or are you talking about using the
>> DVD (or CD) instead of installing?  Well, because large disks are
>> _expensive_ to acquire there?
>>
> You've posited they have a computer with DVD player;

Not really.  That's what the "or CD" was about.

> I suspect they have some disk space too. We're not talking children
> in a village here, after all - they're using Ubuntu Linux supplied
> by Mark Shuttleworth, and OpenOffice.

Uh what?  You are talking about large cities in South Africa, I was
talking about Nigeria.  They happen to be on the same continent, yes,
but I don't think you'd claim that the IT situation in Nicaragua and
Texas is the same?

And Ubuntu?  We are still talking about what to provide with the
_Windows_ part of TeXLive, aren't we?

>>> look ma, I'll even tell you how:
>>> http://wiki.oss-watch.ac.uk/UbuntuDapper/Remaster
>>>

>> I thought the whole point of TeXLive was that not everybody was
>> required to roll his own TeX distro...
>>
> yes. and because of that, you can build a Live CD
> with TeX on with a pretty simpled "apt-get" command.

Requiring broadband...

I think it is pretty obvious that this "discussion" fails to get
serious arguments, so I suggest restricting it to the topic of what to
provide for a Windows distribution.

And I don't think it appropriate to dump the "Live" part of TeXLive
through the backdoor.  Either it is supposed to be part of the
offering or not.  And if it is to be removed formally, then I think we
should first try to figure out whether nobody indeed uses it nowadays.