[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jun 29 23:49:33 CEST 2006

Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr> writes:

> * David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:
>
>     > I don't even have net connectivity with my Windows partition, and
>     > I am certainly not going to change that, given Windows' security
>     > track record.
>
> This another damn assertion about Windows.

It is already the case that Windows XP first edition is "out of date"
with regard to security in the respect that it takes longer to
download and install Service Pack 2 on a broadband connection than it
takes for the first virus infections to occur.  I am not putting my
system (it is pre-XP since I don't care for phone-home to Microsoft
and let them remotely destroy my system without recompensation if they
want to kind of licenses) on the net.

> I'm on the CERT  list (Computer Emergency  Response Team) for the French
> National   Research Network. I   did  statistics on their  vulnerability
> alerts. And  believe me or  not, but over  almost  a year 1/3  where for
> Windows, 1/3 for Linux and 1/3 for other OS (mostly SunOS).
>
> So Windows is not more vulnerable, but it is probably
> a better target because it is much more widely spread.

Debunking those numbers has been done elsewhere.  The severity of
vulnerabilities and how often they get counted (after all, there are
hundreds of different Linux systems), and for what _scope_ they get
reported (Windows contains almost no applications out of the box,
Linux thousands) has to be taken into account.

Botnets consist of Windows PCs, whether you like it or not, and for
whatever reason.

> Ok, I'll stop there.

Probably better.