[tex-live] Editors for Windows

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 00:15:37 CEST 2006

>   >> If you could put this version of Emacs for Windows on CTAN it
>   >> would be included in the TeX Collection automatically. Probably,
>   >> no further work by the TL team would be needed. How about this,
>   >> David?
>
>   > david doesn't "just put" a thing on ctan: we need to be convinced
>   > that it's sensible for ctan.
>
> It is a great advantage for TeXLive maintainers if things which will
> go to TeXLive are on CTAN.  In TL-2005 there are some outdated
> packages because the authors didn't send the latest versions to CTAN.
>
> TeXLive developers do not have enough time to search the web for more
> appropriate stuff.  They rely on CTAN.

this is fine: so long as everyone is aware that ctan is also dependent
on authors to upload their stuff (or make it available for us to
mirror).  i'm currently chasing a package (xymtex), but that's pretty
unusual -- mostly i just don't notice, and i'm unusual in even trying.

> I understand that not everything can go to CTAN.  There must be a
> limit.  I also understand that CTAN maintainers are not interested in
> endless discussions about such a limit.
>
> Robin, is it possible to have at least everything on CTAN what Karl
> wants to have in TeXLive?

well, of course, there are things now on texlive that are not
accessible via ctan (other than the cd image we hold).  karl's
convinced me that this is ok ... reluctantly convince.

in general, however, we're keen to hold anything tex-related ...
within reason.  i remain rather unsure about complete (general)
editors, but that's a personal view (so far).  it would appear that
david is reluctant for emacs to be on ctan, for a different reason.

robin