[tex-live] OT: Why use Windows

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Wed Jun 21 17:37:31 CEST 2006

* Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

    > Zdenek Wagner wrote:
    >> I am typesetting books and the authors give me manuscripts in MS
    >> Word. And sometimes I have to prepare text for some organization
    >> (e.g. some conference) and they strictly require MS Word. Now I
    >> will have to cope somehow with a mathematical text, it must be in
    >> MS Word and I have it currently in LaTeX...
    >>
    > convert to HTML using TeX4ht etc, which can make bitmaps of the
    > maths, then read the HTML into Open Office and save as .doc. No
    > Word required.

    > It will look horrible, of course :-}

Not that much if you pay attention to what you do. Some colleagues did
that beacause in a group of 5 of them, only one was used to LaTeX, but
they wanted to use the revision system available with MSWord. So the
main document has been done with LaTeX, they exchanged revisions on the
.doc imported from the HTML converted document. It worked. The final
document has been typeset in PDF with PDFLaTeX.

Fabrice