[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 10:38:47 CEST 2006

hans writes:

> > Sorry, but I didn't met a Windows user yet who is really happy with
> > Windows.  Windows users are a special species:  They are completely
> > unhappy with Windows but they are not much motivated to try anything
> > else.

my sister seems entirely happy with it.  it's corporate policy that
windows should be used, but she's self-employed...  ;-)

> on my desk is a boot "windows xp annoyances for geeks" and i've once
> read parts of "word annoyances": funny and honest books; i wish
> there were a "linux annoyances" and "tex annoyances" because that i
> (and users) should not feel lonely in their fight against the odds
> :-)

there is a linux annoyances book.  blurb in the latest o'reilly
catalogue i have around here.  can't see there ever being a tex one ;-)

as a win and linux admin, i was thinking of buying the new book.

> ==== intermezzo
>
> (1) maybe one complains less if something's free (or more when one
>     has paid for it)
> (2) i paid for nearly all my linux cd's so when things don't work i
>     complain about linux (but not on lists)

there are lists for this sort of complaint, but as has already been
said, this is not that sort of list.

please, folks...

[hans, the rest of your mail poses valid topics for discussion, but
since i'm a new boy on this list i don't want to fire off discussion
on things i've only a shadowy grasp of...]

robin