[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 20 00:28:37 CEST 2006

  >> It is pretty simple to do such things under Linux.
  >>
  > sure, and equally simple to do it under windows, however ... for
  > who do we make tex live? windows (and i assume also mac) users
  > want to run tthing swithout the need to revert to shell
  > programming; fabrice made xemtex (fptex ++) for schools (teachers
  > and such) and they (normally) want something that installs as easy
  > as any program under windows: click a setup program, want some
  > minutes, and get working; if you'd tell them -in case of
  > conflixts- to open a shell (cmd) and key in some magic code, tex
  > no longer is a valid option

  > who is our intended audience ...

Hans, I'm not talking about TeXLive users but about that:

  > i think that (at least in the past) the problem was with the
  > library paths; also, installing a new perl (or gs) without
  > uninstalling the old thing is also a cause for problems (on linux
  > there is a similar problems with gs, where one can end up with
  > mismatches between fonts and ps lib files on the one hand and
  > binaries on the other depending on where things are expected and
  > what env vars are set [i sometimes solve that by using the latest
  > windows stuff in combination with the generated latest linux bins]

BTW., I still do not know what you want to achieve by using Windows
libraries under Linux.  I'm sure they are exactly the same.  Search
paths are compiled into binaries, hence there is no need to set
environment vars.  Fonts and PS lib files are usually in
ghostscript/<version> and the binaries will always find the files in
the appropriate directories.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25