[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 19 09:15:20 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> My wrapper script even allows me to say:
>
>    for version in `gs --versions`; do
>        GS=$version epstopdf infile.eps outfile.ps
>    done
>
> It is pretty simple to do such things under Linux.

sure, and equally simple to do it under windows, however ... for who do
we make tex live? windows (and i assume also mac) users want to run
tthing swithout the need to revert to shell programming; fabrice made
xemtex (fptex ++) for schools (teachers and such) and they (normally)
want something that installs as easy as any program under windows: click
a setup program, want some minutes, and get working; if you'd tell them
-in case of conflixts- to open a shell (cmd) and key in some magic code,
tex no longer is a valid option

who is our intended audience ...

Hans