[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jun 16 02:54:52 CEST 2006

Hi,
when I install the complete TeXLive system on Windows XP, the
installer does not check whether there is another version of Perl
already installed on the system.

TL prepends the path/to/binaries to PATH and sets the environment
variable PERL5LIB accordingly.

The Perl version which had been installed before TeXLive has set the
value of PERL5LIB somewhere else rather than in the environment
variables dialog box, maybe in the registry.  Don't know how Windos
works.

When I run the command "set" in a DOS window, I see that TeXLive's
value of PERL5LIB is appended to the value provided by the Perl system
which had been installed previously.

When I invoke Perl, I get the Perl provided by TeXLive which then
complains that the file Config.pl doesn't match its version.

After I uninstalled TeXLive's Perl using the TL installer it seems
that everything works.  However, the environment still contains
useless stuff.

It would be better if the TeXLive installer could check whether a Perl
system is already installed.  This can be done by running
"perl --version".

It should be sufficient to add texmf*/scripts to PERL5LIB if
Perl is installed already.

If Perl provided by TeXLive is updated once a year it would not be a
problem to use it and remove the other one.  Unfortunately a Perl
module I need insists of having Perl installed at C:/Perl instead of
just running perl -e "print @INC" to find out where to put it.
Quite annoying...

Regards,
  Reinhard