[tex-live] shell_escape extension patch

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 14 10:06:55 CEST 2006

On 14 Jun 2006, at 8:11 am, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Akira Kakuto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>>> This is my fault: because I was writing this for pdftex,
>>> I never even considered the fact that the file is also used
>>> for a lot of other programs (besides pdftex).
>>
>> In the other cases than pdftex, it was necessary to set
>> fullnameoffile:
>>

> I will rewrite the code so that it is only available in pdftex
> (by changing the pascal code instead of openclose.c). That way,
> all this black magic with the other executables can be avoided.

Hi Taco,

The problem with implementing this in openclose.c is that it gets
compiled once for all the binaries, so there is no opportunity to
conditionally-compile the feature for a subset of programs.

Could I suggest that rather than changing the pascal/web code of
pdftex, you consider doing the implementation in a C function
somewhere such as texmfmp.c, where it can be readily available for
use in pdftex, omega, aleph, xetex (but can be excluded by
conditional compilation for MF, for example).

JK