[tex-live] Using LM instead of CM

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Jun 7 23:40:23 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

>     the bar in \hbar is uncomfortably
>     close to the top serif of the 'h'.
>
> I forwarded that to Jacko & Janusz.  Thanks.

This is known for a long time (credit goes to Walter Schmidt) and has
been reported to them before. The point is that there are good reasons
for this change. It just happens to have an unwanted side effect ...

>     the too high dieresis in CM has been known for a long time, which is
>     why german.sty and its descendants contain code to lower it.
>
> Too bad.  I can't imagine any way the macros can know whether LM or CM
> outlines are being used, since cmr10.tfm is being used in both cases.
> And it would be a step backward to continue the too-high dieresis in LM.
> Given this, it seems we cannot replace CM with LM.

I will have to retest with v1.00. Maybe there have been changes there.
Also, I am definitly not qualified to check the PL, CS and VN variants
of CM. Maybe it is possible to replace those. And atleast wrt to the to
low umlauts one could argue that people writing in German should use T1
encoding anyway, where this problem does not exist. Unfortunately,
nobody reads the documentation telling them so ... :-(

cheerio
ralf