[tex-live] ufplm.fd source

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Jun 7 19:12:30 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> My question is, what generates ufplm.fd?  Isn't it the mathpazo fontinst
> sources?  The top of the file says that it is generated by pazofnst.tex,
> which is part of the mathpazo package.  (CTAN:fonts/mathpazo/pazofnst)
>
> I tried actually running tex pazofnst.tex, but it failed to find
> pplr8a.afm -- not surprisingly, since the afm's in mathpazo are named
> fplm*.  So obviously the sources are not in sync with what was actually
> used :(.
>
> psnfss/psfonts.dtx says that it \ProvidesPackage mathpazo, but doesn't
> actually generate any ufpl*.fd files that I can see.

Indeed. mathpazo is part of PSNFSS. All metrics and fd of PSNFSS are
generated with fontinst. The sources for this can be found in
CTAN:/fonts/metrics/psnfss-source (or something like this).

> However, notwithstanding all that, sibling fd files such as ufplmbb.fd
> exist only in psnfss, even though they are listed in pazofnst/Makefile
> (and ufplm.fd is not).
>
> So, I kind of surmise that the fd files are generated in mathpazo and
> then copied/redistributed in psnfss and removed from mathpazo.  And
> ufplm.fd was left behind in mathpazo by mistake.

Most likely. mathpazo used to be a separate package but was integrated
into PSNFSS at one point. However, there are worse things than this:

<rant>
I am really getting angry at the way TeX packages get handled in Ubuntu:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/tex/mathpazo-type1

shipping an old version of the actual fonts is not a good idea ... :-(
</rant>

> This all seems pretty fuzzy, but anyway, I removed it from mathpazo.

Thanks.

cheerio
ralf