[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jun 6 16:10:24 CEST 2006

Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> writes:

> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
>
>> but the fact that it is unclear where the license files on CTAN come
>> from.
>>
>> I asked Werner Fink from SuSE and he forwarded my mail to a few people
>> at SuSE who are involved in license stuff.  Juergen Weigert and
>> Egbert Eich pointed me to:
>>
>>  http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/font/adobe-utopia-75dpi/README?view=markup
>>
>> The original license is obviously in the Xorg sources again.  It seems
>> that Kevin Martin found it in the X11R5 sources half a year ago.
>>
>> No good news for Thanh, though.
>
> Why isn't that good news, or what would be needed in addition?

A free license that allows derived works? Thanh wants to add Vietnamese
glyphs to Utopia. Unfortunately the current license of Utopia does not
allow derived works. The above license is just the old one that has been
present on CTAN all the time. It had been lost in the XFree and Xorg
sources, though. It seems they have now copied it from some X11R5
sources. Hence Utopia can go back into t1-xfree86-nonfree or however
this package will be called next, but not into TL.

cheerio
ralf