[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Jun 1 09:45:04 CEST 2006

"Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 16:23 -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>>     it looks like TeX Live does not use "pristine" upstream sources,
>>
>> Where do you get that idea?  I don't make changes to what was released
>> to CTAN (or wherever the original source is, unfortunately not
>> everything is on CTAN, despite our continuing efforts).
>
> I did not mean to imply that they were forks. I apologize for my poor
> choice of words.
>
> What I meant is that the TeX Live archives are a packaging themselves
> and are not the pristine source, just like rpm packages are packages
> themselves, or slack .tgz are packages, or debian .dpkg are packages.

There is no such thing as a Debian .dpkg file.  A Debian source package
consists of

foo_<version>.orig.tar.gz
foo_<version>-<debrevision>.diff.gz
foo_<version>-<debrevision>.dsc

(the last one being a control file).  The orig.tar.gz file should be the
pristine upstream tar.gz file, if it exists, or a directory or zip file
or similar repacked into tar.gz.

Similarly, TeXLive just copies the files from CTAN into its tree, and
only adds some things (like infrastructure, build instructions etc.).
There are no changes made, and that is the important thing.

Especially since it's hard to tell what the "pristine upstream sources"
are:  When I upload something to CTAN, it will be in a tar.gz.  But on
CTAN it will be present in unpacked form, or you can retrieve it as a
zip file.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster